Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Flabby Stories - My Word Loss Journey, Part 2

Welcome to part two, the Hydroxycut after-pic of my previously portly story. This picture actually has nothing to do with editing, or stories, or writing…in fact it's completely irrelevant. I just think it's funny, and representative of how I feel whenever I'm awake.

You may recall that I'd challenged myself with chopping a 4700-word story down to 3500. It wasn't easy, but thanks to the invaluable assistance of my critique partner whom I adore to the point of impropriety...

We are down to 3476 words. Oh yeah!

This morning, the story and I sat down and had a conversation. The transcript is as follows:

Me: So, Story? How do you feel now that we've surpassed our word-loss goal?

Story: HUNGRY. I HATE YOU.

Me: C'mon, baby. Don't be like that.

Story: *stony silence*

Me: Well I think you read great. Tighter. Improved pacing. More tension. That's gotta feel good, right?

Story: I WANT MY EXTRA 24 WORDS BACK.

Me: I don't think I like your attitude. I did this for you. Maybe a couple weeks in the drawer will help you understand that.

Story: DON'T YOU TOUCH ME.

Me: Look, I can see we're in a weird place right now. Maybe we should take some time and--

Story: I THINK YOU HAVE A SUBMISSION TO PREPARE.

Me: Are you sure you're ready?

Story: I GUESS…but if I'm rejected, can I come back home?

Me: "Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in." That's Robert Frost.

Story: YOU READ A POEM? I THINK I MIGHT FAINT.


There you have it folks. An untidy ending. I'd hoped my story would shower me with gratitude and we'd live happily ever after. Overall, I feel good about what I've done, but there's a part of me that wonders. Did I cut too deep, nick a vital organ, transect the aorta? I suppose time will tell.



No comments:

Post a Comment