Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Half Empty, Half Full



If I’m hungry, I pretend I’m not.


If I’m thirsty, I drink water or green tea with ginger, sports drinks, and technical smoothies with protein powder and glucosamine...stuff that tastes bad, but is good for me.


I hope that my purposful drinks will make me forget that I’m hungry.


If I need to write, I go for a run.


When I run, I count miles or steps until I am tired of counting.


When I write, it is because I am hungry and thirsty and tired of running, and I have exhausted my patience for counting.


I think of this as a kind of discipline.

,

But when I write:


Everyone is thirsty - and I let each of them drink what they want - even if they drink too much. Scotch, wine, beer...I don’t care. I let the them live.


When they are hungry, I allow them fries, truck-stop liver and onions with a side of dark gravy that arrives with a congealed skin on top, Big Macs and Slurpies, bubble gum and bubble tea, Vietnamese subs and Spolumbo’s sausages...Bernard Callebaut.


I allow them sex I would never have.


I forgive them their cowardice, lassitude, incompetence and incontinence.


I support them in their time of need and offer them a sympathetic narrator when their spirits fail.


I let them reach over my head, swim past me, go further, or deeper, darker, faster than I am capable of.


I am kinder to my characters than I am to myself.


...and when I am done writing, I feel full.


Get ‘em while they last.

Kari

3 comments:

  1. Writing is a sort of vacation of the soul. We get to be people we'd never be, visit places we'd never visit, have adventures we'd never have. And all from the comfort of our desk chairs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny...I've always thought of the desk as the place of DIScomfort. I never sit down to write without feeling a vague sense of dread or antagonism. Perhaps that's why my word-count is so low!

    Kari

    ReplyDelete