A Novel Approach is an advanced year-long novel course designed for serious novelists/writers of fiction to encourage and motivate the writer to the completion of the first draft of a novel. Through instruction, writing exercises, work-shopping, group discussion and mentorship this program will get you well on your way to completing the first draft and depending on how far along you are, maybe even the second draft.
Throughout the year, you will discuss common obstacles to finishing your draft from beginnings, plot, story, POV, voice, structure and endings. Elements of flashbacks, sex scenes, symbolism, dialogue, character development, research and methods of submitting to publishers/agents will also be discussed with more emphasis on specific needs of the participants, but all areas will be covered.
You will meet twice a month for two and a half hours. Between classes you will be expected to read and comment on other student’s work, as well as work on your own projects.
Students will also have the opportunity to meet one on one with their instructor throughout the year to discuss their manuscript.
Please note: There is an extensive critique/workshop component to this course.
Successful applicants must:
- Have a novel-in-progress
- Have completed A Novel Idea, the AWCS 10-week intermediate novel course, or equivalent at another institution ; or have previously published short stories.
- There is a non-refundable application fee of $25 which must accompany each submission.
- There are only 18 spaces available, so send us your best, well-edited submissions.
- Submit 25 pages or first three chapters of your novel in-progress along with a brief synopsis or outline of the story. Manuscript submissions should be typed in an easy to read font, double-spaced on one side of the page, numbered.
- Include a cover page with your name, contact information and writing experience along with a brief paragraph about why you should be considered for this program, how far along you are in your novel, previous courses you've taken and/or publishing credits and your level of commitment to the program.
- Send to: AWCS, A Novel Approach, 922, 9th Ave SE, Calgary, AB T2G 0S4
- Or email as an attachment in .doc, .docx, .pdf or .rtf to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applications and fee must be received by July 31, 2012 applications will not be processed until application fee is received.) Payments can be made by credit card over the phone, online through PayPal, cash or cheques made payable to: AWCS
- You will be notified of your acceptance by August 31, 2012