Friday, April 20, 2012

Free Fall Friday Fragments!

The Free Fall method of writing, developed by W.O. Mitchell, is something we love at AWCS. Basically, it amounts to being given a prompt, and for a set amount of time, writing whatever comes to mind. Writing without editing, and without fear. It's a great way to unshackle your creativity, have fun and walk away having produced something.


We thought the blog would be a great place for members to share their Free Fall writings. So every Friday, we will post snippets from the most recent Free Fall session.


The Free Fall Friday group meets every Friday from 10am to noon at the Alexandra Writers Centre Society. For more information, please contact Mary at mary.k@shaw.ca or phone 403.210.2295



Fragments of Free Fall Friday Issue 2




One Friday morning, the Free Fall Friday (FFF) group wrote from the text and photograph of an autumn leaf in all its bright colors. Entitled Ask, the card included this mediation:
Be specific, know what you want. Breathe, ponder and take the time necessary to form your question. Ask openly, and then move ahead with clarity. Know inside you the answer exists.
Here are some snippets of what came out of that prompt.
~~~
ask;
be specific-

in such a landscape of possibilities
it’s like herding sheep-
not likely
            and not impossible-
            both true

ask;
       don’t ask;
            open, close.

clarity bangs like the preacher
on his pulpit- his fist raised,
thumping the solid oak dais-
its echo in the church-

it isn’t something that comes
            in like a lamb, by god;
                        it’s the roar, the thunderous roar
                        of the lion-his mouth open
                                    wide-teeth nestled in a drooling
                                                mouth gaped, gormless
and the sheep
            their baas
                        like lanterns
                        in the dusk
repeat-
            show the way
                        on heather filled moors.

            ask-
                     don’t ask
                             open; close
                                      shut

it is a choice, yours, mine-
            sheep or lion?

-Angela Simmons

~~~
ASK
            Don, you are the only person I know who sort of thinks like I do and are powerful enough to carry me out of the bush.  I want you to stake one placer claim in your name so that no one will know where it comes from.  I’ll bequeath you the map so you and Barb can find it if it takes too long to fashion a hand drill that will work this time.  You get all the bush gear to make this happen, the IP, the GPS, the sawed off shotgun and the maps.  Just say that you’ll do it dear boy.  They’re not going to buy your hot spring thing for years yet, so you need a reason to be in the bush and teach Barb what I never did.  Gold will always be hot while your hydro-thermal stuff will take a decade of patience and infinite proposals.  This is now, with an odd of chance of financing yours down the road stuff.

-Nick Gass
~~~
ASK:
She’s waiting. Same corner as last week, huddled under the scant overhang of the sandstone facade, trying to absorb what little warmth it’s retained from the day. She’s waiting. Just like last week, trembling - whether from cold or fear, anticipation - matters not. She’s feeling fragile, leaning against the building so as not to topple from the top of her heels.
She asked, she begged, she prayed
She never wanted it to be this way
But this way it is, and this way
Her hopelessness would have it stay.
Waiting time is inversely proportional to hopefulness. Despair, desperation seeps and sets. Some days she can’t tell her tears from the rain. Still, survival instinct – remnant of hope remains. And hope is the only ammunition she’s got to get her to where she wants to go.
She asked, she begged, she prayed
And still she’s waiting for that day.
-Maraya Loza-Koxahn
~~~
Ask. Be specific. Know what you want. Breathe. Ponder. Ask your question.

I breathe.
I ponder.
Daily.
From moment to moment.
At times, my search process becomes a mantra rather than a focussed specific question.
As in prayer, that if I rush to mumble the words
I learned as a child in my mother’s tongue
and in English when I was a school-aged child,
my thought waves flatten and my brain activity slows.
When I realized my mumblings are meaningless, I stop.
I place my right index finger in the centre of my forehead
and I breathe,
drawing breath deep into my belly,
into my soul, my spirit.
I note the rhythm of my breath,
The quiet in and out.
The tension in my shoulders eases,
My neck grows longer
And the havoc – the hodge-podge of ideas roiling in my brain
Begin to slow and disappear.

-Mary Kurucz

The Free Fall Friday group meets every Friday from 10am to noon at the Alexandra Writers Centre Society. For more information, please contact Mary at mary.k@shaw.ca or phone 403.210.2295









No comments:

Post a Comment